Aoibheann Barnes, Parenting Support Social Worker, MSW
I am a Mental Health Social Worker parenting Autistic children.
I know that parents want the best for their children. To know what is best for your Autistic child can sometimes be difficult, particularly when your child is distressed, scared, or having a hard time. This can sometimes be made more difficult when the people around you have strong opinions on how you should or should not parent. You often feel confused and sometimes inadequate for the challenges. We cannot parent effectively when we are unsupported and unsure of ourselves.
My role is to give you the support and information you need to parent your child confidently and help your family flourish.
I will come to your home and visit your family. Together we will identify your family’s needs and draw up a support plan. We will identify the tools that will help your Autistic child/ children thrive, to help them reach their potential whilst strengthening your family unit.
Depending on your needs, the plan may include helping you:
– understand the neurodiversity paradigm
– understand your child’s behaviours
– understand non verbal communication, asynchronous development
– understand sensory needs and co-regulation,
– understand and accommodate safe foods
– understand how to best advocate for your child’s needs eg within schools, how to access and navigate appropriate supports for your child
– how to explain autism to your child and family (siblings, grandparents etc) and other support needs arising.
I have a Master of Science (Social Administration and Policy) and a Master of Social Work. I have 10+ years experience supporting parents and families as part of my work with HSE and Tusla. I work holistically with families, taking a neuro-affirming, person centred, strengths focused approach. I am CORU registered. I am a professional member of Irish Association of Social Workers (IASW) and Ausome Training.
I initially meet parents for a free 20-30 minute consultation via zoom, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as I can (typically within 24 hours).
Following initial consultation, if we agree we are a good fit to work together I will visit you and your family in your home. Any subsequent consultations will be arranged to best suit your individual needs.